It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 5:37 pm Advanced search

Copy USERDATA folder from other XBMC machine to SD Card

Everything related to running XBMC for Linux on XIOS DS

Copy USERDATA folder from other XBMC machine to SD Card

Postby harrydnyc » April 24th, 2013, 5:10 pm

***N00B Alert***

Just got my XIOS DS and I have installed the Linux XBMC version on it. I have another machine (Windows 7) running XBMC for the last few years, and my library is working well on that machine. I want to copy all my settings and library (USERDATA folder) on my XIOS, but I need to put it on the my SD card since the database file is large. I have tried copying the folder into the xbmc-data folder on the SD card, but it basically just clears out the library and I see none of my files.

Am I doing this the right way? If not, can someone please let me know how to do it the right way? I have been at it all day, but I am having no luck. I tried rebuilding the library from scratch, but during the update process (which takes quite awhile), it only seems to find two of my TV shows, and I have about 30. When I run the update again, it does a quick scan but does not find any of the TV shows other than the two I mentioned before. I do not have this issue on my windows machine. I had XBMC running on a ATV2, and I did not have this issue either.

Please help!
harrydnyc

Re: Copy USERDATA folder from other XBMC machine to SD Card

Postby Imported » April 24th, 2013, 9:11 pm

There are other folders nested under the xbmc-data folder before you get to the user data dir. It's not just xbmc-data/userdata..... I Hate typing on my phone, so just Google where the user data folder should be.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Mr. Imported :ugeek:
Imported

Postby Imported » April 24th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Also, are the paths the same to the content on both setups? Do you have a shared library (MySql) setup?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Mr. Imported :ugeek:
Imported

Postby Canaya » April 25th, 2013, 8:28 am

I've found that using the xbmc backup addon saves me time and a lot of hassle. The best way is to install xbmc backup to all your xbmc devices then from the machine that you want to copy from, set the path from the xbmc backup configuration to a shared folder on your pc or any networked drive and make the backup. Then set the same path from all your other devices and they will all be able to access the same backup
Canaya
Dedicated

Postby harrydnyc » April 26th, 2013, 5:58 am

Thanks Canaya. I am trying to restore from xbmcbackup now on my DS. Performed the backup on my other machine and then used the same path from my DS to restore. It is in the process of restoring (which looks like it is going to take a while). Let's see how it goes. Thanks again!
harrydnyc

Postby harrydnyc » April 26th, 2013, 8:18 am

For the most part, everything worked fine. However, it doesn't seem any of the thumbnails transfered over. To be more specific, the backup file contained the thumbnails, but I do not see the thumbnails in XBMC post-restore. Any idea if this is normal, or if there is anything I can do to get them back. What's strange is that 1.6GB is now used on the SD card which would seem to indicate the files got transfered over.

Thanks for your help! This is way better than it was before.
harrydnyc

Postby Canaya » April 26th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Try rebooting. Sometimes it needs a reset
Canaya
Dedicated

Postby Canaya » April 26th, 2013, 4:09 pm

I'm assuming your using frodo on all your devices? I had that issue trying to restore a frodo xbmc from an Eden backup.
Canaya
Dedicated

Postby toys4me » April 26th, 2013, 10:17 pm

harrydnyc » April 26th, 2013, 7:18 am wrote:For the most part, everything worked fine. However, it doesn't seem any of the thumbnails transfered over. To be more specific, the backup file contained the thumbnails, but I do not see the thumbnails in XBMC post-restore. Any idea if this is normal, or if there is anything I can do to get them back. What's strange is that 1.6GB is now used on the SD card which would seem to indicate the files got transfered over.

Thanks for your help! This is way better than it was before.

Cached thumbnails will have their information stored in the texture database file. The file contains the paths to the cached thumbnails. Since the absolute paths to the cached thumbnails would be different between a windows box and a linux distro I doubt its possible to just copy things over and have the texture/thumbnail cache to work without editing database to fix the paths. With just copying things over the files will exist in the cache directory but the texture db would be pointing to a directory that doesn't exist on the linux box, so I don't think it will see the cached images. I would think that best thing to do would be to clean up the cache directory, do a library cleanup, then have it rescan the library to redownload artwork.
Disclamer:
My opinions, stupid ideas and rants are my own. Am not a Pivos employee. Am just a programmer who likes their product and tries to help when I can.
toys4me
Hardcore

Postby harrydnyc » April 27th, 2013, 4:38 pm

toys4me » April 27th, 2013, 12:17 am wrote:
Cached thumbnails will have their information stored in the texture database file. The file contains the paths to the cached thumbnails. Since the absolute paths to the cached thumbnails would be different between a windows box and a linux distro I doubt its possible to just copy things over and have the texture/thumbnail cache to work without editing database to fix the paths. With just copying things over the files will exist in the cache directory but the texture db would be pointing to a directory that doesn't exist on the linux box, so I don't think it will see the cached images. I would think that best thing to do would be to clean up the cache directory, do a library cleanup, then have it rescan the library to redownload artwork.

I tried cleaning out the thumbnail directory and even started with a new textures.db, but it seems the artwork will not download. To be more specific, most of the artwork will not download. I see some of the artwork for some of my movies, but not most of them. And, the movies that I do see artwork for, I have to click "show information" and then it shows. So, I am not sure what the deal is for those. Seems like a slowness issue, but now I have noticed that I go into the settings and the CPU usage is at 100% and I am not doing anything (not scanning, not playing anything). I am using one of the nightlies (20130420-8898634 Compiled April 21, 2013). It seems like it is still scanning even though the scan said it was finished. The reason I say that is I am getting a message that one of my movie files need to unpack. I would get that message sometimes on my AppleTV 2. I never get that message on my windows install. Any help would really be appreciated.
harrydnyc

Next

Return to XBMC on XIOS DS (Linux)