It is currently October 1st, 2014, 3:17 pm Advanced search

How to use the SD card for caching ?

Everything related to running XBMC for Linux on XIOS DS

How to use the SD card for caching ?

Postby kevingon » March 17th, 2013, 9:25 am

Is it possible to use the SD card for caching and if so, how to set it up to do so ...

Using the recent Linux build ...

Thanks
* kevingon *

Setup:
XIOS (M3) -> WD TV Live Media Center Hub -> Samsung 40" LCD TV.
100 MBit Network via Linksys router
kevingon

Re: How to use the SD card for caching ?

Postby aasoror » March 17th, 2013, 10:57 am

What do you mean by caching ?
You can move your userdata to the mSD card, be sure you are on the latest nightly and create "xbmc-data" on your mSD card and reboot your box.
The AIOS wiki - The AIOS Semiofficial firmwares
Calling upon ALL AIOSers, your feedback is needed -- Calling upon ALL XIOSers, your feedback is needed
XIOS XBMC: Setup -- Keep the annoying XIOS developers happy, always attach a log with your bug report, here is how.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby kevingon » March 17th, 2013, 7:53 pm

So I move the whole directory "/root/.xbmc/userdata/ " to "/media/usb0/xbmc-data 'directory ?
Then reboot?
* kevingon *

Setup:
kevingon

Postby kevingon » March 17th, 2013, 8:14 pm

What you mean by the latest nightly build?
I moved the userdata to the SD card and rebooted and it recreated it back in the original directory and it is not using the one on the SD card
* kevingon *

Setup:
kevingon

Postby toys4me » March 17th, 2013, 8:22 pm

kevingon » March 17th, 2013, 7:14 pm wrote:What you mean by the latest nightly build?
I moved the userdata to the SD card and rebooted and it recreated it back in the original directory and it is not using the one on the SD card

In aasoror signature there are links to the latest nightly builds with the latest updates. The latest nightlies (since march 4th) have built it support for the mSD card. Just update to one of the latest nightly builds, create the "xbmc-data" directory in the root of the sdcard and boot up the device. It will recognize the directory as being there and automatically copy the data and setup the rest. There is no need to copy anything manually. From then on it will be storing the xbmc data on the microsd card. After the update you will find that the mSD card will be mounted as /media/sdcard as its no longer dynamically mounted by usbmount.
Disclamer:
My opinions, stupid ideas and rants are my own. Am not a Pivos employee. Am just a programmer who likes their product and tries to help when I can.
toys4me
Hardcore

Postby zimzot » March 18th, 2013, 9:29 pm

I moved my thumbnails to my SD card fallowing the thread "How to Save Thumbnails to SD Card" in XIOS DS (Linux) Guides, Mods, Hacks and Tips.
How can I fix my box so I can use the latest nightlies since march 4th without losing my thumbnails?
I screwed up one of my boxes with the March 5 nightly.
In the end I wiped the box clean and reloaded everything with a older nightly.
I have been holding off loading any new builds until I get around to fingering out whats going on.
zimzot
Curious

Postby toys4me » March 18th, 2013, 10:02 pm

zimzot » March 18th, 2013, 8:29 pm wrote:I moved my thumbnails to my SD card fallowing the thread "How to Save Thumbnails to SD Card" in XIOS DS (Linux) Guides, Mods, Hacks and Tips.
How can I fix my box so I can use the latest nightlies since march 4th without losing my thumbnails?
I screwed up one of my boxes with the March 5 nightly.
In the end I wiped the box clean and reloaded everything with a older nightly.
I have been holding off loading any new builds until I get around to fingering out whats going on.

If you are just using the patch subsitution in the advancedsettings file (mentioned at start of the thread you referenced) you should be able to just to change the references from /media/usb0 to /media/sdcard.
Disclamer:
My opinions, stupid ideas and rants are my own. Am not a Pivos employee. Am just a programmer who likes their product and tries to help when I can.
toys4me
Hardcore

Postby zimzot » March 19th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Does the "xbmc-data" directory not by default contain the thumbnails folder?
So if I now create a "xbmc-data" directory in the root of my sdcard the thumbnails folder should now be fine inside the "xbmc-data" directory.
So if I delete the advancedsettings file and move my thumbnails to the "xbmc-data" directory on my sdcard this should work?
zimzot
Curious

Postby toys4me » March 19th, 2013, 9:20 pm

zimzot » March 19th, 2013, 8:00 pm wrote:Does the "xbmc-data" directory not by default contain the thumbnails folder?
So if I now create a "xbmc-data" directory in the root of my sdcard the thumbnails folder should now be fine inside the "xbmc-data" directory.
So if I delete the advancedsettings file and move my thumbnails to the "xbmc-data" directory on my sdcard this should work?

After the first boot the "xbmc-data" directory will contain all the xbmc addons, settings, thumbnails etc that got copied over from the internal storage into a directory structure under xbmc-data. . If you want to move away from using the advancedsettings file the best way would be to remove the advanced settings file. Boot up with the xbmc-data folder in place, then copy your thumbnails back to /root/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails.

With the way things map to the the mSD /root is actually mapped to the mSD card. Its best not to access the data through xbmc-data directory but to access (read/write) to the files through their original locations that way you don't accidently mess up any of the mapped directories.

Everything is setup so there no configuration changes necessary to xbmc itself as it thinks its reading/writing to same locations it always was it just that those directories are now mapped to the mSD card. I tried to bring together everything any one would (n)ever want to know about how it all works in a thread over here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3067
Disclamer:
toys4me
Hardcore

Postby zimzot » March 19th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Thanks toy4me for the help.
I read everything in your thread and I am now ready to spring in to action...tomorrow.

edit:
It's now the morning and I sprung.
Running March 20 nightly, removed advancedsettings file and restored my 492 MB of thumbnails.
All is good!
zimzot
Curious

Next

Return to XBMC on XIOS DS (Linux)