It is currently November 21st, 2014, 9:09 am Advanced search

Connecting to network to copy files

Network questions about connecting, sharing and download with your AIOS HD Media Player.

Connecting to network to copy files

Postby FilmFax » October 26th, 2011, 7:18 am

Hello, I just got my AIOS yesterday and spent the evening trying to get it set up. I'm having trouble getting it to connect to the network. First off, I'm not really experienced with networking but I'm not totally tech challenged. I have a PS3 and haven't had trouble connecting to my iMac with it. With the PS3, I go through a UPnP (MediaLink) and I copy over files to the hard drive on the PS3.

I was able to use the UPnP on the AIOS, but I don't see any option to copy files to the local hard drive. I tried to connect through the network. I activated the Samba Process, I set up file sharing on the Mac. When I try to access the AIOS from the iMac, it asks me for a password. If I try to connect as Guest, it won't let me. From the AIOS, I try to connect to the iMac through the Workgroup, but I keep getting "Logon Failed" messages, even though I'm using the username and password I set up. I have it connected to my router with a wired connection (Cat 5e cable, Gigabit LAN Wireless Router)

Am I missing something? How do I copy files from the iMac to the AIOS? I was hoping the unit was a little more consumer friendly. The files I previewed look and sound awesome though, so I'm happy about that.

Thanks
FilmFax

Re: Connecting to network to copy files

Postby aasoror » October 26th, 2011, 8:36 am

How to access the AIOS HDD from Mac OS X
Prerequisites: Enable SAMBA on the AIOS and make sure secure login is turned OFF.
On the Mac OS X: use your file browser and type the following address "smb://AIOS.IP.Address/" (where AIOS.IP.Address is the IP address assigned to your AIOS and can be checked from the networking settings on the AIOS setup screen).

How to access the Mac OS X network shares from the AIOS
Prerequisites: a running SAMBA server on the Mac (depending on the version of Mac OS X, some comes with prepacked SAMBA server and some doesn't).
On the AIOS: got to Files -> Net -> My Shortcut, press options and add a new shortcut, use the Mac OS X "IP address" and any allowed login credentials.

How to copy from the AIOS interface:
Once logged in the SAMBA share of the remote computer just highlight a file and press options button, you can then select "copy" and follow the prompts (check the manual for details).

Basic troubleshooting:
- reboot the network hardware (including: routers, switches, the AIOS and the remote computer).
- disable any firewalls running (just temporarily till a connection is established then work your way through adding exceptions if required).
- make sure the login credentials used works using other sources (like a different PC).
- make sure the login credentials doesn't contain any special/escape characters.

Best of luck,
The AIOS wiki - The AIOS Semiofficial firmwares
Calling upon ALL AIOSers, your feedback is needed -- Calling upon ALL XIOSers, your feedback is needed
XIOS XBMC: Setup -- Keep the annoying XIOS developers happy, always attach a log with your bug report, here is how.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby FilmFax » October 26th, 2011, 8:43 am

Wow, thanks so much for the advice! I wish it was easier to find that information. I'll try it out this evening.
FilmFax

Postby aasoror » October 26th, 2011, 9:01 am

FilmFax wrote:Wow, thanks so much for the advice! I wish it was easier to find that information. I'll try it out this evening.

No problem.
There is also more related information here.

Enjoy your AIOS.
Calling upon ALL AIOSers, your feedback is needed -- Calling upon ALL XIOSers, your feedback is needed
XIOS XBMC: Setup -- Keep the annoying XIOS developers happy, always attach a log with your bug report, here is how.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby FilmFax » October 26th, 2011, 9:19 am

Thanks for the link!

So Apple says to put in:
smb://IPaddress/sharename

Do you know if I need a "sharename"? I'm at work so I won't be able to try this out until this evening.

Thanks!
FilmFax

Postby aasoror » October 26th, 2011, 9:35 am

There is no need for a sharename, because the AIOS shares the root of the drive itself.
So as I earlier pointed its "smb://IPaddress/"

Best of luck,

FilmFax wrote:Thanks for the link!

So Apple says to put in:
smb://IPaddress/sharename

Do you know if I need a "sharename"? I'm at work so I won't be able to try this out until this evening.

Thanks!
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby FilmFax » October 26th, 2011, 9:41 am

That is what I had done last night. I'll try it again after going over the steps you listed and doing some of the general troubleshooting you suggested.
Thanks
FilmFax

Postby fabiocs » January 9th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Thank you, for all the information.

Now a can see my aios HDD in my Mac OS X, but i cant see my computer in my aios, i ve been reading and i dont know if it is a problem with the SAMBA, you said "a running SAMBA server on the Mac (depending on the version of Mac OS X, some comes with prepacked SAMBA server and some doesn't)."... my mac is in 10.7.2 version, where can i found or download a SAMBA server ???

Thank you
fabiocs

Return to Networking & Sharing