It is currently October 21st, 2014, 8:04 am Advanced search

Very slow loading thumbs and background art

Everything related to running XBMC for Android on XIOS DS

Very slow loading thumbs and background art

Postby Mirthen » June 17th, 2013, 6:57 pm

(all current release versions of m3 ics and xmbc apk)

On a fresh setup i added about 100 movies to xbmc, had it collect all the info and fan art for all of it. Once everything was up to date and stored i went to browse the movies section and noticed that regardless of the view type(list, big list, fanart...) when going through the list it can lag quite a bit. Now not expecting anything instant, but with a lag of 30-60 seconds some times it can get annoying quick.

I have tried things like adding a swap partition on the mSD card(using the guide on the forums). the system it self seems to run rather well. Just when i go to view the list of movies(same for tv episodes) its extremely slow loading any fan art/images for each title.

I really... REALLY want to avoid switching to the xbmc-linux version, and would like to keep the XIOS running andoid for other apps. Is there any way to speed up the loading of thumbs/fanart in xbmc for android?

Media is loaded from a smb share(can switch to nfs).
mSD card is a 8GB card, 3 primary partitions(FAT32, EXT3, Linux Swap)
little to nothing else installed at this point, as i wanted to get XBMC up and running before doing anything else.

any tips/advice/help/cookies?
Mirthen

Re: Very slow loading thumbs and background art

Postby Mirthen » June 17th, 2013, 8:17 pm

I have tried multiple skins for xbmc, all with similar results.

i have 3 different 8GB mSD cards i can use, i have tried 2 so far, one with a standard full FAT32 format, with no swap or anything else on it, the second and current has the 3 partitions with swap.
Mirthen

Postby Mirthen » June 17th, 2013, 10:34 pm

I have tried the 3rd mSD card i had(was my main phone card so was avoiding using it). Seems this card is a bit faster on the file read times. I have not benchmarked any of the cards, so not sure what speed/rating any of them are. The first 2 i tried were Kingston cards, this last one is a Samsung branded.

So far, with just the movies, on a fresh update/reset/install of android, and a fresh xbmc. The same movie collection seems to run a good bit more smoothly. Some initial lag when loading up the movies page. Once they are all loaded though seems to be a bit more of what i would expect from this device. Going to tweak it a bit more see if i can squeeze any more speed out of it.

So guess i answered my own question... get a faster mSD card... :/ ... and now to newegg to find the fastest card i can get.

edit:

After some looking around. Found all 3 cards are actually Class 4. Guess the samsung one is just a bit faster on the read speeds. Is there a recommended mSD class for use with xbmc on the xios?
Mirthen

Postby thrbearnecessities » July 28th, 2013, 3:00 pm

class 10 is the fastest
thrbearnecessities

Postby stuffedspacedog » September 6th, 2013, 2:13 am

As previously said, a class 10 card will work better.

You can also increase the cache size for SD cards, this will make read speeds faster.

Use this app (it's free):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ster&hl=en

Set the cache size to 3072.
stuffedspacedog

Postby amuzzy » September 12th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Is your experience like this?
http://youtu.be/VUV21rnm3ks

If so, the problem isn't your mSD card. The problem is Frodo. I tracked the issues down in the XBMC bug tracker, and verified that it's fixed in Gotham on my Windows PC (which also had this bug in Frodo).

You can try to downgrade to Eden which didn't have this issue, or you can wait for someone to make a Gotham build.
amuzzy

Postby bigdogeh » September 15th, 2013, 8:31 pm

when you format your mSD card, use a larger block size for format. 64kb seems to work pretty good. class4 card should be fine. they actually have proven themselves to be faster than some class10 cards under certain circumstances.
bigdogeh
Hardcore

Return to XBMC on XIOS DS (Android)