It is currently July 29th, 2014, 3:53 pm Advanced search

Tip of the Day - Clean up!

Guides, mods, hacks and tips related to the XIOS DS XBMC Linux port

Re: Tip of the Day - Clean up!

Postby aasoror » January 8th, 2013, 10:37 am

penguinant » January 8th, 2013, 11:41 am wrote:I'm also finding my M3 with Android is extremely sluggish so full internal storage may be part of the problem since I'm not using a mSD currently. Is it possible to completely wipe the XIOS and re-flash a fresh ICS image? Once that is done if I keep a mSD inserted in the XIOS how do I ensure files are placed there instead of the internal storage? Is it automatic or is there some intervention required on my part.

I've only had my XIOS for a week now and am excited for the possibilities it provides but currently haven't got much to work due to the bad performance and flaky network connectivity.

Part of the Android sluggishness might be because of the CPU hog bug triggered by some USB input devices.
You can use apps like Link2SD to automatically move your apps to mSD without manual intervention.
The AIOS wiki - The AIOS Semiofficial firmwares
Calling upon ALL AIOSers, your feedback is needed -- Calling upon ALL XIOSers, your feedback is needed
XIOS XBMC: Setup -- Keep the annoying XIOS developers happy, always attach a log with your bug report, here is how.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby zebraitis » January 8th, 2013, 10:44 am

aasoror » January 8th, 2013, 10:37 am wrote:
Part of the Android sluggishness might be because of the CPU hog bug triggered by some USB input devices.
You can use apps like Link2SD to automatically move your apps to mSD without manual intervention.

Part of the android sluggishness is that he is talking android in the linux forum.

Euuuuuwww...

:lol:

Flash that Android with a Linux nightly. Life is MUCH better!
zebraitis
Hardcore

Postby aasoror » January 8th, 2013, 11:06 am

zebraitis » January 8th, 2013, 12:44 pm wrote:

Part of the android sluggishness is that he is talking android in the linux forum.

Euuuuuwww...

:lol:

Flash that Android with a Linux nightly. Life is MUCH better!

Nice catch .. lol
The AIOS wiki - The AIOS Semiofficial firmwares
Calling upon ALL AIOSers, your feedback is needed -- Calling upon ALL XIOSers, your feedback is needed
XIOS XBMC: Setup -- Keep the annoying XIOS developers happy, always attach a log with your bug report, here is how.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby xbmc4u » January 16th, 2013, 9:53 am

Here is a tip.

Using the File Manager (System->File Manager) and Add a source which points to /root/.xbmc/

This will allow a user to navigate all the xbmc files and directories that are not part of the Profile view. It seems that Profile only points to /root/.xbmc/userdata. If you want to manage your addon directory you need to get to /root/.xbmc/.

Unfortunately, you can't get to .xbmc directory by just navigating the the Home directory because . directories don't show up and I can't figure out to make them appear.

Enjoy.
xbmc4u
Hardcore

Postby johnnyb12 » January 19th, 2013, 7:19 am

xbmc4u » January 7th, 2013, 3:06 pm wrote:Today I noticed that my M3 box was acting up and running super sluggish. It was a truly painful experience.

What I noticed was that /root was at 100%! Damn it, what have I done?

I am one of those people that doesn't run with the micoSD slot populated and I don't plan on anytime soon.

I am a heavy user of addons and I noticed that every single repo, addon, skin, etc... that has every been downloaded is in the directory /root/.xbmc/addons/packages. There was 100MB of space just consumed by zipfiles.

Now you might not think 100MB is alot but the /root partition is only 500MB large so I lost 20% of my storage space due to the zip files.

So if you notice that your XBMC is getting sluggish, try and clean up the packages directory. I'm still looking around for an option that automatically deletes the zip files once it's installed.

Regards.

So it is OK to erase all the zip files under Packages?
johnnyb12
Curious

Postby XBMC ANDROID » January 19th, 2013, 7:49 pm

I like to factory restore and reinstall it from scratch from time to time, maybe once a month. With continuously developing software like this it's never a bad idea.
XBMC for Android Unofficial Support
XBMC ANDROID
Hardcore

Postby xbmc4u » January 19th, 2013, 8:02 pm

johnnyb12 » January 19th, 2013, 9:19 am wrote:

So it is OK to erase all the zip files under Packages?

Yes.
xbmc4u
Hardcore

Previous

Return to XIOS DS (Linux) Guides, Mods, Hacks and Tips