It is currently July 24th, 2017, 11:46 am Advanced search

Unofficial: user built nightly XBMC-M1 builds

Guides, mods and tips related to the XIOS DS XBMC Linux port

Unofficial: user built nightly XBMC-M1 builds

Postby aasoror » December 12th, 2012, 11:50 am

Hello All,
Requests from power users to share their own builds has been floating around. Its clear how such images might cause confusion all around the forum when people start to mix feedback from these releases with feedback from the official ones.

That said its undoubtedly helpful and very beneficial for development to get feeback and reports about yet to be released issues which helps in making official releases more robust (just check the bug reports and developer/user interactions on XBMC-Pivos github).

So instead of banning this, lets regulate it and keep everyone happy.

Here is the rules for now (pending changes):
- Keep all discussions about user built builds to this thread.
- Always post your build with a matching github commit label.
- Any mods or tweaks done on top of the master code needs to be listed.
- optional: use http://d-h.st/ to upload you image.

Thanks everyone for contributing in this and a special "thank you" to rapalax for the suggestion.

Pivos code direct builds:

Speedster » December 13th, 2012, 2:44 am wrote:I have commenced uploading "nightly builds" to Dropbox. I don't envision too many downloads from here so not too concerned. These images will be the straight code from github, no modifications.

The update.img file always links to the latest build, but I will leave as many past builds as I can there. Build logs are also present in the buildlogs folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qfsqqow67m8hawp/f4vOpoVCKO

These images/logs are built and uploaded using a cron job at 0400 GMT daily (12:00pm local time). A new build will only take place if there have been commits to buildroot-linux in GitHub.

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT THESE BUILDS DO TO YOUR DEVICE OR THE FUNCTIONALITY (or lack thereof) WITHIN!

toys4me modded builds:
Please refer to toys4me posts throughout this thread for details about each build.
http://d-h.st/users/toys4me/?fld_id=0#files
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Re: Unofficial: user built interim XBMC builds

Postby xbmc4u » December 12th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Let the carnage begin!

When I make a custom build, is there something in the load that I can set, like a label or string, that identifies it as a load I generated?

Something that I can read via the GUI would be ideal.

Regards.
Last edited by xbmc4u on December 12th, 2012, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xbmc4u
TOFUer

Postby cashel » December 12th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Is there somewhere to upload the builds, or are we hosting our own builds?
cashel
Curious

Postby Katch » December 12th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Built as of commit 951088aff2

http://d-h.st/aeN

MD5 Sum: 738f51377a016a858220c00ab7c62f83

place in SD card root and do the usual.

This should give you a pretty nice taste of beta 3. All stock no mods or changes. If you have any instability issues please try flashing back to an Android build then try this build again. Flashing Linux builds on top of each other has sometimes been reported to give problems.

I'll build again in a day or so once the Git is sync'd to XBMC RC1
Last edited by Katch on December 12th, 2012, 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Katch
Curious

Postby rapalax » December 12th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Suggestion:

http://d-h.st/

Worked great for me in the past, and easy to check md5 etc..
rapalax
Dedicated

Postby skalita » December 12th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Just a suggestion to all sharing, please post md5 together with a link and a git commit number...
skalita
Curious

Postby bigdogeh » December 12th, 2012, 1:18 pm

This is awesome!! :)
bigdogeh
Hardcore

Postby Penner5a » December 12th, 2012, 1:55 pm

1. I am extremely excited about this...

2. I am extremely worried about this...

Haha

1. I LOVE the idea of being able to try nightlies. The potential for improvement and bug fixes is huge.

2. I love nightlies because they are usually updated builds of one uploader. I am scared that we will have 20+ betas riding around on this forum and bug reports are going to flood in causing mass confusion.

Can I suggest that there be a subforum dedicated to nightlies? That way each user wanting to upload their build can do so in their own thread. This will keep the bug reporting organized.
Penner5a

Postby Jaemlllz » December 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Penner5a » December 12th, 2012, 3:55 pm wrote:1. I am extremely excited about this...

2. I love nightlies because they are usually updated builds of one uploader. I am scared that we will have 20+ betas riding around on this forum and bug reports are going to flood in causing mass confusion.

Can I suggest that there be a subforum dedicated to nightlies? That way each user wanting to upload their build can do so in their own thread. This will keep the bug reporting organized.

A sub forum is a great idea to keep official builds and nightlies build completely seperated and that will bring in more people willing to develop there own builds in there own threads with there own tweaks for pivos!
Jaemlllz
Hardcore

Postby aasoror » December 12th, 2012, 2:52 pm

Penner5a » December 12th, 2012, 3:55 pm wrote:1. I am extremely excited about this...

2. I am extremely worried about this...

Haha

1. I LOVE the idea of being able to try nightlies. The potential for improvement and bug fixes is huge.

This is not XDA (yet) ;)

As I mentioned in the OP this is meant for power users to share their personal builds, its not meant for "developers" to maintain their own releases, we have developers paid to do that :)

The idea is not to report bugs to the those doing the builds, they are not required (or even expected) to follow up and maintain the releases with the fixes, the idea of always requiring the github commit label used for the build is to facilitate reporting the bugs back to Pivos.

Builds are expected to divert minimally from the Pivos code, additionally the diversions are not expected to live for so long before being pulled back into Pivos code (I mean all contributions are welcomed, so if someone fixed a bug they are encouraged to request a pull for the changes to be merged).
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Next

Return to XIOS DS (Linux) Guides, Mods and Tips