It is currently August 20th, 2014, 9:19 pm Advanced search

Help plz getting wi-fi to work with linux xbmc

Everything related to running XBMC for Linux on XIOS DS

Help plz getting wi-fi to work with linux xbmc

Postby aceone » December 6th, 2012, 4:06 pm

I have installed linux which loads straight to XMBC.
Is there an idiots guide to getting the WI-FI to work.
Thanks in advance. ian
aceone

Re: Help plz getting wi-fi to work with linux xbmc

Postby aasoror » December 6th, 2012, 4:33 pm

switch skin to Pivos ;)
The AIOS wiki - The AIOS Semiofficial firmwares
Calling upon ALL AIOSers, your feedback is needed -- Calling upon ALL XIOSers, your feedback is needed
XIOS XBMC: Setup -- Keep the annoying XIOS developers happy, always attach a log with your bug report, here is how.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby freestylegreek » December 6th, 2012, 8:28 pm

You get the wifi working?
freestylegreek
Dedicated

Postby J c » December 6th, 2012, 9:27 pm

I happen to be running XBMC-Linux on my XIOS with a wired connection. However, I do also have a wireless network available, so I thought I would try it out and report back.

Here's what I did to get it to work:

• Change skin to the XIOS skin (the wireless network popup listing does not appear unless you temporarily use this yellow and black skin!)
  • Navigate to System -> Internet Access
  • Select the first item on the right: "Network Connection" (this will say either say Wired or Not Connected)
  • Click on this item (center button on remote) - this causes a popup to appear listing wireless networks.
  • Select your network and enter the password (if needed).
  • Change the skin back to your previous skin (your network configuration will be retained).

I should point out that when I tried this, videos that play fine on wired would stutter after I switched to wireless, but this is nothing new for me, as I have other devices that do streaming and they have the same issue.

I should also mention that the first time I brought up the wireless network popup, the firmware reset itself, but it worked fine the second and subsequent times I brought up this popup.
J c
Curious

Postby freestylegreek » December 6th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Your lucky JC I tried all that too switching the skin to the other one and going through the system/internet access and all that. Mine would not connect to the internet for some reason. I'm hoping me and who knows how many others who are also having issues get their issue fixed with the new firmware.

What router and model of the router you're running.
freestylegreek
Dedicated

Postby J c » December 6th, 2012, 10:38 pm

freestylegreek » December 6th, 2012, 10:12 pm wrote:What router and model of the router you're running.

D-Link
DIR-625
Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b

Have you tried putting your wireless router into mixed mode (maybe the XIOS doesn't support n for example)?

Does your wireless network appear in the popup listing? If not, make sure SSID broadcast (also called Visibility) is enabled. If it appears but won't connect, make sure you don't have features like "restrict by MAC address" enabled on your router.

When you say it won't connect to the internet, do you mean it successfully connects to your wireless network but then you can't access internet sites (youtube, etc)? If so, this would actually indicate a configuration issue, where the router is blocking internet access (perhaps through a QoS setting).

Do you have a phone that supports tethering through a wireless hotspot? If so, enable it and put your phone near the XIOS and see if you can connect to that wireless network as a sanity check.
J c
Curious

Postby freestylegreek » December 7th, 2012, 12:10 am

Router is in mix mode

Wifi connection only appears when the secondary skin is chosing and not the default one which is a major issue that already is acknowledged in this forum. Hopefully the next firmware will allow the default skin to show wifi as a connection.

SSID is visible as I have many devices that I can connect to such as laptops, desktops, xbox 360, nintendo wii, wireless network music player, apple tv 2, cell phone. All connect to the router without any issue and only this xbmc linux alot of people are having issues connecting to wifi.

IPv6 - Automatic is connected. Not sure if thats an issue or not.

MAC Address Clone disabled

My wifi security is set to WPA2 Personal both on the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz. I changed it over to WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode to see if it would connect to the secondary skin that shows you wifi but like I thought that didn't make a difference. I once tried to connect 15 times and each time it said "Not connected. Check network settings."

IPv6 SPI Firewall Protection : enabled
Pv4 SPI Firewall Protection : enabled

Filter Anonymous Internet Requests (check marked)
Filter IDENT (Port 113) (check marked)

I have no issues connecting wifi on anything I throw at my router. The XIOS device worked perfectly with the default android firmware as I tested it out greatly. But once you slap on xbmc for linux it doesn't want to connect wirelessly.

I dont know anything about this wifi therthering so i'm going to leave that alone.

Since the people who still have issues are keeping quiet and since this issue has been mentioned before in the previously firmwares i'll wait for the next firmware to come and see what happens.

J c » December 7th, 2012, 12:38 am wrote:
D-Link
DIR-625
Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b

Have you tried putting your wireless router into mixed mode (maybe the XIOS doesn't support n for example)?

Does your wireless network appear in the popup listing? If not, make sure SSID broadcast (also called Visibility) is enabled. If it appears but won't connect, make sure you don't have features like "restrict by MAC address" enabled on your router.

When you say it won't connect to the internet, do you mean it successfully connects to your wireless network but then you can't access internet sites (youtube, etc)? If so, this would actually indicate a configuration issue, where the router is blocking internet access (perhaps through a QoS setting).

Do you have a phone that supports tethering through a wireless hotspot? If so, enable it and put your phone near the XIOS and see if you can connect to that wireless network as a sanity check.
freestylegreek
Dedicated

Postby aceone » December 7th, 2012, 1:57 am

If it boots straight into XBMC how can i change the skin. This is were i am having the problem. any help please

J c » December 7th, 2012, 4:27 am wrote:I happen to be running XBMC-Linux on my XIOS with a wired connection. However, I do also have a wireless network available, so I thought I would try it out and report back.

Here's what I did to get it to work:

• Change skin to the XIOS skin (the wireless network popup listing does not appear unless you temporarily use this yellow and black skin!)
  • Navigate to System -> Internet Access
  • Select the first item on the right: "Network Connection" (this will say either say Wired or Not Connected)
  • Click on this item (center button on remote) - this causes a popup to appear listing wireless networks.
  • Select your network and enter the password (if needed).
  • Change the skin back to your previous skin (your network configuration will be retained).

I should point out that when I tried this, videos that play fine on wired would stutter after I switched to wireless, but this is nothing new for me, as I have other devices that do streaming and they have the same issue.

I should also mention that the first time I brought up the wireless network popup, the firmware reset itself, but it worked fine the second and subsequent times I brought up this popup.
aceone

Postby J c » December 7th, 2012, 9:03 am

aceone » December 7th, 2012, 1:57 am wrote:If it boots straight into XBMC how can i change the skin. This is were i am having the problem. any help please

You can select a skin under Settings -> Appearance. By default, you will have Confluence as your skin, and you will need to switch it to the only other option available by default, which is called XIOS, just click on what I believe is the first option under Settings -> Appearance to see the list of skins.
J c
Curious

Postby J c » December 7th, 2012, 9:09 am

freestylegreek » December 7th, 2012, 12:10 am wrote:i'll wait for the next firmware to come and see what happens.

Sounds like what you have tried should work - hopefully the next firmware helps. Worst case I suppose you could pick up another wireless router or maybe run a cable. They also have devices that are like wireless hubs, which you could put near your XIOS and then go wired to that.

It might just be me but wireless doesn't provide a very good streaming experience of HD content, so I've ran a cable to my entertainment cabinet where I have a 4-port switch. Amusingly, all 4 ports are now in use, and I could even use a fifth but I let my TV connect wirelessly (seems to work fine for Netflix).
J c
Curious

Next

Return to XBMC on XIOS DS (Linux)