It is currently July 26th, 2017, 12:56 am Advanced search

How to: setup XBMC on the XIOS

Product usage Guides and Tips.. see what you are missing!

How to: setup XBMC on the XIOS

Postby aasoror » March 27th, 2013, 7:38 pm

This guide will walk your through installing and tuning XBMC on your XIOS.
The Android portion is recommended for all setups (even outside XBMC).

Cleaning up the box:
Its a good idea to clear up cache/user data/factory reset from the recovery menu of the XIOS. To get into recovery console you can either use the pinhole method (steps 4 and 5 in forced flash) or follow one of the following:

- If you are on Android try the following guide to get into recovery.

- If you are on XBMC-Linux (to flash, clean up the box or go back to Android) follow the video here:

Before going to recovery just save the firmware update image on your mSD card then once cleaned up go to the firmware update option in the recovery console.

Android (Installation):
- You will need to update to the latest ICS
- Install the latest Pivos official or Official-XBMC Gotham nightly (for the brave of heart).

Android (optimizations):
- Install CPU Master and set the scheduling profile to "on demand".
- Extend your app space to your mSD card and move XBMC there.
- Disable media scanner if hogging CPU resources (if you are using external storage with lots of data).
- Start XBMC at bootup (with mSD card availability check).

XBMC-Linux (Installation):
- You will need to update to the latest official

XBMC-Linux (optimizations):
Remember for XBMC-Linux, create an empty folder at the root of your mSD card named xbmc-data, this will automatically move your data from internal to external storage and saves you the headache when the box starts acting up when internal storage gets full.

Check the video channel for demo videos on different files playback as well as tutorials showing how to install XBMC addons on the XIOS.

Best of luck,
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Re: How to: setup XBMC on the XIOS

Postby aasoror » March 27th, 2013, 7:40 pm

reserved
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby aasoror » March 27th, 2013, 7:40 pm

reserved
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Sinnesteuer » March 28th, 2013, 8:54 am

Very nice!

From a consumer/customer standpoint I have been hoping for a "central depository" for this kind of information. This thread should, I hope, be that kind of "library".

Some things I would like to see/think would be helpful to the average consumer:

If Pivos has any recommended/tested advancedsettings.xml settings that are known to boost performance/enhance user experience, either across all XIOS platforms or platform specific.

What skins, programs, and other add-ons users of Linux and Android XIOS platforms can expect to use reliably.

Compile and organize all the various bits of advice, tips, guides, on these forums into this thread.

While I understand that some of what I am asking is likely to give aasoror an aneurism (or at least a headache), I think it will dramatically help a large number of consumers who may be just slightly below the tech level of those of us who are earlier adopters.

I would hope that the goal over at Pivos is to get their products into the hands of as many people as they can, and then have those people be really happy with it. While you can make money selling to the tech-savvy, you could get stupid rich by selling to EVERYONE. That company named for a fruit has shown what happens when you give tech "that works" to the lowest common denominator, would be fun to see Pivos become as ubiquitous.
Sinnesteuer
Dedicated

Postby telko » December 4th, 2013, 8:27 am

Hello.

I have just installed Android version 11092013 and I would like to know if the adjustments (Install CPU Master and set the scheduling profile to "on demand" / Extend your app space to your mSD card and move XBMC there) are still necesarry.

Thanks
telko

Postby aasoror » December 4th, 2013, 10:11 am

telko » December 4th, 2013, 11:27 am wrote:Hello.

I have just installed Android version 11092013 and I would like to know if the adjustments (Install CPU Master and set the scheduling profile to "on demand" / Extend your app space to your mSD card and move XBMC there) are still necesarry.

Thanks

default profile is no "on demand".
extending your app space is needed if you want to go beyond the 1GB internal storage limit.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby telko » December 4th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Hello.

After trying different configurations and mess with the system I have needed to reinstall XBMC on the Android image. This second time I have realized that the default add-ons have not been loaded (so, for instance, I cannot change the skin).

I have also tried to reinstall the fresh Android image and then again install the XBMC apk, but the result is the same.

Any idea about what could have gone wrong?

EDIT - SOLVED: I have followed the instructions on XBMC wiki to force the add-on repositories to reload and all the add-ons have appeared.

Thanks
telko

Postby nightrider89 » December 30th, 2013, 11:40 am

aasoror » March 27th, 2013, 6:38 pm wrote:XBMC-Linux (optimizations):
Remember for XBMC-Linux, create an empty folder at the root of your mSD card named xbmc-data, this will automatically move your data from internal to external storage and saves you the headache when the box starts acting up when internal storage gets full.
Best of luck,

I was wondering how the internal storage will get full on the xbmc linux build. Will it be the thumbnails/fanart that fills the unit up?
nightrider89

Postby aasoror » December 30th, 2013, 12:12 pm

nightrider89 » December 30th, 2013, 1:40 pm wrote:
I was wondering how the internal storage will get full on the xbmc linux build. Will it be the thumbnails/fanart that fills the unit up?

Yup, all user data (addons and scrapped libraries) goes into internal storage unless you use xbmc-data folder on your mSD card. Performance will suffer considerably as internal storage gets scarce.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby nightrider89 » December 30th, 2013, 7:08 pm

cool. I think I have a 1gig card sitting around. I think they should be enough.

sorry for the lack of knowledge, im learning as I am going.

what does the term scraped libraries mean? also do i just have a folder on the mSD card that is titled xbmc-data?

Thanks!
nightrider89

Next

Return to XIOS DS Guides and Tips