It is currently August 18th, 2017, 1:09 pm Advanced search

How to: Share your XIOS USB storage over the network

Product usage Guides and Tips.. see what you are missing!

How to: Share your XIOS USB storage over the network

Postby aasoror » September 8th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Preface ..
Samba File Sharing is a great little app that allows you share your SD over the network, install, set a password, enable and you are done, you have your SD card exposed for access from other devices.
Now the issue is with the USB drives, the app doesn't seem to detect (forget about vfat only mounts because both my mSD, that shows up fine, and my HDD, that is not detected, are NTFS formatted).

A look under the hood ..
The app runs a samba daemon, and just like any other samba server regardless of platform, the visible shares are all listed in a configuration file that gets loaded whenever the daemon starts the server. For this app the file is "smb.conf" and its located at "/data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files"

So the fix is ..
Easy, locate the file, edit it using your favourite method and add this to this to the end of smb.conf file (assuming your hdd is mounted at sda1)
Code: Select all
[hdd1]
vfs objects = fake_perms
comment = Android /mnt/sda1
path = /mnt/sda1
force user = root
read only = no
writable = yes
guest ok = no

That was easy .. right ?
Wrong, the playstore app will replace smb.conf each time the server is started, rendering the above edits useless.

Workaround 1 (development app)
Get the development version of the app from xda. It has an option to disable "smb.conf" rewrites.

Workaround 2 (playstore app)
Append your edits to the "smb.conf" just before the server is started.
locate the following file (the script used to start the server) /data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/samba-rc
open the file and locate the code block that starts the server ..
start)
            $0 stop
       $0 cleanup
       $0 rmlogs
       $PRE/nmbd -D
       $PRE/smbd -D
       sleep 1
       echo ok
       ;;

As you can see, whenever server starts it will make sure there is no running instances of the server, do some codekeeping and cleanup then starts the daemons. what we are going to do is to append our shares to smb.conf

Create a file with [hdd1] code block (lets name it mysmb.conf) and place it in /data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files

Now we can use "cat file1 >> file2" to append mysmb.conf at the end of smb.conf
cat $PRE/mysmb.conf >> $PRE/smb.conf

Our new code block in /data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/samba-rc should look like
start)
            $0 stop
       $0 cleanup
       $0 rmlogs
            cat $PRE/mysmb.conf >> $PRE/smb.conf
       $PRE/nmbd -D
       $PRE/smbd -D
       sleep 1
       echo ok
       ;;

Now enable server ..
Done ..

aasoror
Pivos Employee

Re: How to: Share your XIOS USB storage over the network

Postby blc » September 9th, 2012, 6:00 am

Appreciate your work on this issue and am eager to try it out. Can you advise how or where I find "/data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files" so I can do the edits.
blc

Postby aasoror » September 9th, 2012, 12:27 pm

blc » September 9th, 2012, 9:00 am wrote:Appreciate your work on this issue and am eager to try it out. Can you advise how or where I find "/data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files" so I can do the edits.

you can find it under "/data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files" :)
Thats full path to the folder, to manipulate these files I would use the pre-installed ftpdroid (coupled with filezilla on your PC).
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby blc » September 12th, 2012, 11:47 am

I have ftpdroid up and running and filezilla installed my PC. I can see the files on my SD card in the remote sites window of filezilla however it appears that Samba Fileserver saves it's data file to the internal nand memory that I don't seem to be able to access. I have updated to Android ICS could this be the reason I can not access the internal memory. I have tried all the file manager Apps included with the Xios and none of them seem to be able to access this internal memory. Not very computer literate hope this make sense and you can put me on track to locating "/data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files"
blc

Postby aasoror » September 12th, 2012, 11:56 am

blc » September 12th, 2012, 2:47 pm wrote:I have ftpdroid up and running and filezilla installed my PC. I can see the files on my SD card in the remote sites window of filezilla however it appears that Samba Fileserver saves it's data file to the internal nand memory that I don't seem to be able to access. I have updated to Android ICS could this be the reason I can not access the internal memory. I have tried all the file manager Apps included with the Xios and none of them seem to be able to access this internal memory. Not very computer literate hope this make sense and you can put me on track to locating "/data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files"

Check ftpdroid settings, edit the user (root) home from "/mnt/sdcard" to "/"
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby blc » September 12th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Thanks I have it working now. I used Workaround 1 using the development version of app. I was able to copy a 63 mb music file from a usb harddrive attached to my home computer to the harddrive attached to my Xios. It copied in 55 seconds. For my needs my Xios just went from great to perfect. Thanks again.
blc

Postby aasoror » September 12th, 2012, 8:56 pm

NP blc.
Enjoy your XIOS :)
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Aquifel » December 29th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Any possibility of a similar guide for the linux version? I found a post on it, but its based on many many different sources, and i am apparently not tech-savvy enough to figure all of it out :(.
Aquifel

Postby aasoror » December 29th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Aquifel » December 29th, 2012, 6:22 pm wrote:Any possibility of a similar guide for the linux version? I found a post on it, but its based on many many different sources, and i am apparently not tech-savvy enough to figure all of it out :(.

Running a samba server on XBMC linux port ? ok, let me put something together.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby cris2k » January 16th, 2013, 6:24 pm

aasoror » December 29th, 2012, 7:20 pm wrote:
Running a samba server on XBMC linux port ? ok, let me put something together.

Hi aasoror,

Did you manage to post something on this?

thx
cris2k

Next

Return to XIOS DS Guides and Tips