It is currently October 25th, 2014, 6:47 pm Advanced search

How to: Use internal 3TB HDD

Product usage Guides and Tips.. see what you are missing!

Re: How to: Use internal 3TB HDD

Postby aasoror » February 5th, 2013, 2:53 pm

ldelie@comcast.net » February 5th, 2013, 4:40 pm wrote:
OK, well, Windows 7 and mini-tools worked fine. 3.62Tb formatted. Sorry I didn't realize that you meant that I SHOULD use the beta-software; I thought it meant NOT to use the beta. Well, all is well now. I have quite a few files to transfer. Anything else I should do first? Such as, should I still update the software? Any other tips?

The semiofficial firmware is not a beta, its a seperate line of firmwares based on Pivos official releases (thus the name semiofficial).

Lots of goodies, I would recommend checking it ..
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=434
The AIOS wiki - The AIOS Semiofficial firmwares
Calling upon ALL AIOSers, your feedback is needed -- Calling upon ALL XIOSers, your feedback is needed
XIOS XBMC: Setup -- Keep the annoying XIOS developers happy, always attach a log with your bug report, here is how.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby ldelie@comcast.net » February 6th, 2013, 5:32 am

Before I transfer tons of files, give me pros (and cons) of formatting EXT3. How much faster? Any downsides? Can a little XP netbook access the drive? Is the use of space effecient? Others?
ldelie@comcast.net

Postby Bgerstenkorn » March 18th, 2013, 12:28 pm

I'm having trouble setting up my 3tb hard drive with my Aios. I got to the part to download and unpack the file "parted" that seemed fine, but trying to open it I get Permission Denied. :cry:
AIOS login: root
BusyBox v1.1.3 (2011.09.09-05:41+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
~ # cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

31 0 25472 mtdblock0
31 1 95360 mtdblock1
31 2 128000 mtdblock2
31 3 13312 mtdblock3
31 4 262144 disc
~ # /usr/local/etc/linked/opt/sbin
-sh: /usr/local/etc/linked/opt/sbin: Permission denied
~ # /usr/local/etc/linked/opt/sbin # parted /dev/sda
~ #
Bgerstenkorn

Postby aasoror » March 18th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Bgerstenkorn » March 18th, 2013, 3:28 pm wrote:I'm having trouble setting up my 3tb hard drive with my Aios. I got to the part to download and unpack the file "parted" that seemed fine, but trying to open it I get Permission Denied. :cry:
AIOS login: root
BusyBox v1.1.3 (2011.09.09-05:41+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
~ # cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

31 0 25472 mtdblock0
31 1 95360 mtdblock1
31 2 128000 mtdblock2
31 3 13312 mtdblock3
31 4 262144 disc
~ # /usr/local/etc/linked/opt/sbin
~ # /usr/local/etc/linked/opt/sbin # parted /dev/sda
~ #

Seems the drive is not detected at all, please telnet and execute the following.

Code: Select all
~ # cat /proc/partitions
Calling upon ALL AIOSers, your feedback is needed -- Calling upon ALL XIOSers, your feedback is needed
XIOS XBMC: Setup -- Keep the annoying XIOS developers happy, always attach a log with your bug report, here is how.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Jacle2270 » March 18th, 2013, 6:02 pm

hello, and pardon me for being a 'thick' Windoz user, but I have no experience using Linux, so the above instructions on how to get my AIOS to properly format my 3TB internal drive makes no sense :)

was wondering if someone could either provide step by step instructions on EXACTLY what to type into a telnet window?

or

if there was a way to take my internal drive and connect back to my Windows 7 computer and format it so that the AIOS will recognize it when completed?

thank you
Jacle2270

Postby aasoror » March 18th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Jacle2270 » March 18th, 2013, 9:02 pm wrote:hello, and pardon me for being a 'thick' Windoz user, but I have no experience using Linux, so the above instructions on how to get my AIOS to properly format my 3TB internal drive makes no sense :)

was wondering if someone could either provide step by step instructions on EXACTLY what to type into a telnet window?

or

if there was a way to take my internal drive and connect back to my Windows 7 computer and format it so that the AIOS will recognize it when completed?

thank you

Well the exact commands to type at the telnet prompt is summed up in the "command digest" part at the end of the OP.
That said, if you would rather not go linux way, you can do it from your windows box.
Just take whole AIOS (with the HDD installed) hock it up to your PC (so it will act as an external enclosure) and use partition wizard to basically formate the HDD in GPT/NTFS
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-par ... nager.html
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Jacle2270 » March 18th, 2013, 8:58 pm

aasoror » March 18th, 2013, 5:14 pm wrote:Well the exact commands to type at the telnet prompt is summed up in the "command digest" part at the end of the OP.
That said, if you would rather not go linux way, you can do it from your windows box.
Just take whole AIOS (with the HDD installed) hock it up to your PC (so it will act as an external enclosure) and use partition wizard to basically formate the HDD in GPT/NTFS
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-par ... nager.html

Thank you for the info.

I'm attempting to format the drive using the AIOS box/external enclosure method.

But I'm running into another problem. The AIOS box is not showing up on my computer and I have confirmed that the USB3.0 port I'm using is a working port. Also I have taken the drive out of the AIOS box and deleted the existing Win7/NTFS partion using the above suggested program and then re-inserted the drive into the box and still not being recognized by my computer.

How do I use the above mentioned "command digest" that you mentioned earlier? As it looks like I might have to try that method?

Unless someone has some other suggestions for getting the AIOS w/drive working on my 64bit Win 7 computer?

thanks
Jacle2270

Postby aasoror » March 19th, 2013, 1:09 am

Jacle2270 » March 18th, 2013, 11:58 pm wrote:

Thank you for the info.

I'm attempting to format the drive using the AIOS box/external enclosure method.

But I'm running into another problem. The AIOS box is not showing up on my computer and I have confirmed that the USB3.0 port I'm using is a working port. Also I have taken the drive out of the AIOS box and deleted the existing Win7/NTFS partion using the above suggested program and then re-inserted the drive into the box and still not being recognized by my computer.

How do I use the above mentioned "command digest" that you mentioned earlier? As it looks like I might have to try that method?

Unless someone has some other suggestions for getting the AIOS w/drive working on my 64bit Win 7 computer?

thanks

For the windows solution: have you checked under storage management for the HDD (when enclosed inside the AIOS) ?

For the Linux solution:
First familiarize yourself with telnet (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=579)
Next telnet to the box and execute the following:
Code: Select all
cat /proc/partitions

And see if the output shows the drive (check the OP for a sample output of executing this command with a 3TB hdd installed).
If you can see the drive you can proceed with the digest commands (one at a time).
The actual OP shows you these commands when executed and shows you the output as well.

Best of luck,
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Jacle2270 » March 24th, 2013, 10:48 pm

I wanna thank everyone for helping me so far.

I wanted to post a follow-up question, as I'm still having problems.

I have decided to delay installing/configuring my 3TB drive until I have a break between classes, etc.

As such I have decided to setup my AIOS box with a 1TB drive instead.

But I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or I'm missing something, etc. or maybe my AIOS box is broken/defective.

Because even with a clean, unformatted 1 TB drive installed, my computer is still not able to detect the AIOS box connected via the USB port, and when I take the box back to my TV and try to use the AIOS built-in menu options, I'm also not able to force a drive format.

When I use the built-in menu options and select 'Format' a window shows on my TV that says: " HDD Format? " and then there is no visible way to 'confirm/decline' this option, I can only return to the previous screen and move around the different menu options.

By the way I'm only using the included remote and my AIOS box has the firmware ver. 3.4.3.0

Can anyone let me know why I'm not able to get the AIOS box to show up on my computer via the USB port, or help me figure out what I'm doing wrong/missing in the menu's to get the box to format the internal drive independently of a computer, so that I can load it with my content.

thanks
Jacle2270

Postby aasoror » March 24th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Since you are essentially having the same issues with your 1TB as your 3TB, my reply for the 1TB problems will be the same.
Please help us help you buy following the steps I outlined above and providing me with the output I need to pinpoint the issue.
Thanks,
aasoror
Pivos Employee

PreviousNext

Return to AIOS Guides & Tips